When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transcon Luxury: Northwest’s Unique Strats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcon Luxury: Northwest’s Unique Strats

The Stratocruiser was the first word in luxury if not economics. Northwest used its Strats in a unique fashion but they were just as luxurious:

Boeing delivered only 55 Stratocruisers, and the civilian programme was always a footnote compared to the almost 900 KC-97 tanker transports, however the mighty Strat was the last word in luxury during the 1950s even if not the last word in economics. Nor

Northwest Orient Boeing B-377 Stratocruiser by rstretton, on Flickr

--
    http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

Sadly. I never saw a Strat in service and by the time I started spotting at London airport, all the BOAC ones that had been taken out of service had been disposed of.
    I did see an Israeli Air Force one at Gatwick in the late 1960s and several C-97s in various locations mainly in the US including the magnificent Mexican civil-registered on, XA-PII, at Tucson which sadly, eventually got scrapped. They must have been a wonderful sight and sound.
    I think I have most of the Aeroclassics models and they are among my favourites. A glaring omission is a model of a Transocean Air Lines Strat which, albeit for a short 2 years, operated one of the largest fleets including most of the fleet of BOAC.
    --
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by kaitak View Post
      Sadly. I never saw a Strat in service and by the time I started spotting at London airport, all the BOAC ones that had been taken out of service had been disposed of.
      I did see an Israeli Air Force one at Gatwick in the late 1960s and several C-97s in various locations mainly in the US including the magnificent Mexican civil-registered on, XA-PII, at Tucson which sadly, eventually got scrapped. They must have been a wonderful sight and sound.
      I think I have most of the Aeroclassics models and they are among my favourites. A glaring omission is a model of a Transocean Air Lines Strat which, albeit for a short 2 years, operated one of the largest fleets including most of the fleet of BOAC.
      Yeah agree a Taloa Strat is well overdue. This video on YouTube has some good NW Strat footage in it:

This is a 16mm film made for Northwest Orient Airlines in the 1950s. This was made to be shown on the double-decker Boeing Stratocruiser airplanes, which wer...
      --
      http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X