When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Database update notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There might be a time and place where there is a future of the database again somewhere. There's a monetary number involved in being able to make it more secure and it comes down to whether there will be a return on investment. Either way from what I've seen and people's reactions is nobody cares that the data was taken, no different than nobody cares if a model is licensed or not. It was a good run, I'll go back to my hole and move on in life.

Comment

So anyone know of any alternatives for a model aircraft database?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Martinez View Post
        So anyone know of any alternatives for a model aircraft database?
        I think there is another database named MADb, but I think that is the one which is being accused of stealing data. I'm not sure though.

Comment

Waffle,

Wow!! Just came on DIMA to add a couple of more models to the collection and couldn't for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong to search for the models. Searching for any announcements about technical issues, I just found this thread. Well, this just sucks. I started collecting in 2006 and I remember the days of the Air Paradigm takeover, my Wings900 days, and the beginning of DIMA. This database is like none other, and yes, like others here, I'm completely reliant upon it. This thread also revealed what goes on in the background to keep this site running. I think there's a ton of us who are so reliant on this site, that for sure, we would each show the money and subscribe to it. If that is an option in the future and the subscription dollars can also make this site more secure, please let us know.

And what a revelation about one of the bad apples! Wow! The evidence is what it is, can't refute it. He puts in a lot of work researching all aspects of 1/400 scale models, but to me, credibility is lost. I'm sure the word will spread quickly and people can make their own decisions on whether they want to support this bad apple.

You are right about us collectors not caring about licensing and all of the in-fighting that goes on between manufacturers. What we care about is what is available to us on the market, what our choices are, and what's it going to cost us. That's the usual thing we all hear on the forums. But I think we've all realized now that a good database site where we can manage our legit and ill-gotten models is something we definitely care about. Like all things in life, you don't realize how good you have it until it's abruptly taken away.

Add a button on your retail site for an annual subscription with a start date of Jan 1 2025. Those of us who value the database and also realize that funds and time are needed to carefully make the database secure will purchase the subscription and patiently wait until everything is ready. If I'm wrong about the number of collectors willing to do this and enough funds can't be raised, just give us a credit on your retail site or something. Just an idea.

As you stated, life will still go on without the database. I can at least still see what's in my collection so far and what my want list is, thanks for not taking those away. For now, we create our own Excel collection spreadsheets.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlifter94 View Post
            And what a revelation about one of the bad apples! Wow! The evidence is what it is, can't refute it. He puts in a lot of work researching all aspects of 1/400 scale models, but to me, credibility is lost. I'm sure the word will spread quickly and people can make their own decisions on whether they want to support this bad apple.
            You may want to read both sides of the story if you want to form a valid opinion about bad apples, just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark22 View Post

You may want to read both sides of the story if you want to form a valid opinion about bad apples, just saying.
              Doesn't change the fact that we're all creating our own Excel databases at this point.

Edit: I see what's going on now. Again, all of the stuff that goes on in the background is revealed on the Internet, and it's all stuff that I don't personally care about. Doesn't sound like there's a future for a DIMA for the masses and an alternative to DIMA was created, I see. We are going through another episode of turbulence in the diecast collecting world.
              Last edited by Starlifter94; 07-05-2024, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I understand the frustration from Waffle as well as the collectors. Like many others in here, I suppose we took this DB for granted. I use it a lot and have listed over 1000 of my models into my collection over the years very diligently. I'd like to express my thanks to Waffle and I am sure you know by now how many of us appreciate this DB.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlifter94 View Post

Doesn't change the fact that we're all creating our own Excel databases at this point.

Edit: I see what's going on now. Again, all of the stuff that goes on in the background is revealed on the Internet, and it's all stuff that I don't personally care about. Doesn't sound like there's a future for a DIMA for the masses and an alternative to DIMA was created, I see. We are going through another episode of turbulence in the diecast collecting world.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. When people only choose to point small "snip its" of conversations it can be skewed to whichever way one wants to tell the story.

The only good news is that there is a chance that the database reappears behind a paywall in an updated fashion with the closure of this website.

Comment

Hello, I am very sad to know that the 1:400 and 1:200 database will no longer be available.
                    I recognize that you have done a great job, excellent I would say.
                    Your database was like the collector's bible, in my particular case it guided me to know what was the most current on the market.
                    I appreciate your effort and commitment, if at any time I could collaborate on something, I would be happy to do so.
                    For now, thank you very much for your help to so many people who like this world of collecting.
                    My appreciation is total for your work.
                    Thank you for your time, effort and dedication.​

Comment

You should make it available again by membership with a yearly fee for a single log in ! nothing is for free in this world ! I have my almost 6000 models in the database ! I agree that a lot of collectors gave you negative feedbacks but using your database as references.. we spoke in january at LAX about !

Comment

Originally posted by JOELBRU2 View Post
                        You should make it available again by membership with a yearly fee for a single log in ! nothing is for free in this world ! I have my almost 6000 models in the database ! I agree that a lot of collectors gave you negative feedbacks but using your database as references.. we spoke in january at LAX about !
                        Agree.

Paywall its viable.
                        Please return database for real collectibles.

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X