X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When this hobby becomes an addiction

Hello all,

Just wanted your opinion on something.

I've been in the diecast collecting hobby since I was about 12 and back in the day, I played with the old Herpa models that still had the rolling wheels and of course over time those broke. But I never stopped loving them and asking my parents to buy me more whenever the chance presented itself. When I finally stopped playing with them and started caring for them and eventually getting a display case to showcase them, I was 22 and was just at over a hundred models total.

Fast forward to now and on the cusp of turning 30 with a relatively stable job as an air traffic controller for the military and I just passed the 750 mark a week ago with my last ebay and facebook market purchases, expanding my collection of almost exclusively 1:500 scale models and starting 1:400 scale and 1:200 scale models mixed in between.

This morning, I woke up to my bank account in the negative. I am deep in debt from a massive buying spree I went on about two years ago, and if I average out each of my planes being about $30 when bought new, that puts my collection at over $21,000 that I've spent.

Honestly, I think I have a problem. Whenever I get bored at home or at work there I find myself on ebay looking at what gaps to fill in my collection, even though I'm still massively in debt and will be for several years before I can get it under control. These latest purchases were fueled by me having a tiny bit of extra money to spend, which I should have put right toward credit cards.

How do I stop? I need help of some sort.

Thanks in advance guys.

You caní. But you probably need some type of coach. (It sounds like you are single, but, if you are married, you need to take action NOW.)

One bright spot is there is a healthy secondary market for our planes. With most hobbies, there isnít.

As others have written, this is serious. Anytime someone goes into debt over a hobby, itís serious.

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/do-hobbies-hobble-you

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/...bies/20812056/
    Last edited by Sludge; 08-09-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Seek professional help. Most people on here have the same problem to some extent.

Sometimes it helps to simply define a budget every month. The hard part is sticking to it.

Best wishes.

Comment

I am totally with you and I do exactly the same. I 'suffer' in the same way. It's easy to blow the budget each month. Thank you for sharing, brave of you but it's good to know you're not alone!

Comment

What I do is try and identify from the new releases ones that might sell out or be popular and keep my purchases that month to those and within a given budget, then I keep list of the models that I cannot afford to buy in a month and gradually collect them over time either as they are still in stock or on ebay. I'm still buying items off my list from several years ago. I keep a separate budget for those too. There are times you will go over budget and other months you maybe under. Good luck with keeping on top of it. Where are you located btw?

Comment

One time I realised I had spent 1 full month during a year time. Considering all other costs, it was more than my balance allowed.
            My way to face it was:
            1)to make scale of preferences, models, airlines, liveries, uniqueness and give rating. <<<it helps to decide the models really worth to buy and not just cool
            2) set myself a max expenditure per year.
            3) I allow myself to hunt for models on 2 occasions per year (birthday and xsmas). <<<it helps to limit the temptation of an extra purchase every now and then

although I buy less, the models I now buy have am extra pleasure.

Hope this can help you!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X