When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Size is everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size is everything!

Having a passion for all things BEA, I decided to convert a 1/72nd scale Airfix Sea King helicopter kit into a Sikorsky S-61N, as used by BEA on its Penzance-Scilly Islands route during the 1960s. This required a new vacu-formed fuselage made by Aircraft in Miniature with new floats and other accessories. I fully detailed the model with interior passenger seats and passengers and also built the open stairway from scratch. Decals came from a BEA decal sheet of a 1/144th scale Vanguard.
    Okay, that's fine in 1/72nd scale, but the real challenge was to make one in 1/400 scale to match my 1/400 airliner collection and model airport. I tried using some 1/350th scale Sea King kits made by Tamiya, but they were too difficult to work with. 1/350th is okay as the S-61N is longer than the Sea King, so it would look the part. Then I found a french manufacturer called L'Arsensal also make a pack of three resin 1/350th Sea Kings with etched brass rotors etc., which looked much better, so here is my 1/400th S-61N with my 1/72nd version and with a pair of the recently released Aeroclassics BEA Viscount 700s.

Attached Files

That looks great - very impressive work. There's definitely a small niche for 1:400 helicopters like the S-61 and CH-47.
    --
    http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

Comment

This is amazing! The coolest thing I've seen on these forums in a while! Where did you find the L'Arsenal model?

Diecast helicopters are badly needed.. here is a great niche for someone

My father in law flew the S-61 for SFO Airlines between Oakland and San Francisco. This wouldn't been in the early 1970's I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by JAL1628 View Post
        This is amazing! The coolest thing I've seen on these forums in a while! Where did you find the L'Arsenal model?

Diecast helicopters are badly needed.. here is a great niche for someone

My father in law flew the S-61 for SFO Airlines between Oakland and San Francisco. This wouldn't been in the early 1970's I believe.
        Thanks, I bought them at a model show here in UK, but you can buy them from their website here:

They also make a Sikorsky S-58 (suitable for SABENA or Chicago Helicopter Airways) and a Boeing-Vertol 107 (suitable for New York Airways). Of course these are really military helicopters designed for model aircraft carriers, but very suitable to be turned into passenger helicopters.

Comment

Adrian, that looks very nice indeed.
          I would love a Court Line Sikorsky S-61. They used to do ship replenishment to vessels rounding the Cape of Good hope..

Very nice job indeed. Congratulations.
          --

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X