When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dowse National 1:400 1960/70s US Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dowse National 1:400 1960/70s US Airport

I've been working sometime on my own 1:400 airport diorama to showcase some of my large US classics fleet and this has been kickstarted recently after a period on the backburner. Dowse National is a 15 gate two pier US airport from the 1960/70s. I've used old photos I've found to model the gate arrangement giving a mix of standard nose-in gates, some side on gates (to be served by two airbridges) and some circular gates not served by bridges at all.

Here is the most recent ground foil (designed in MS Word and printed onto A3 sheets of 220gsm card stuck down with spray mount). I've recently added grass and gate staining:

Dowse National 22/04/13 by rstretton, on Flickr

The background is a modified image purchased from [URL="http://airport-diorama-designs.com/model-airport-backgrounds-page/model-airport-background-5/"]Model Airport Background #5 | Airport Diorama Designs[/URL="http://airport-diorama-designs.com/model-airport-backgrounds-page/model-airport-background-5/"]

I've also been working on the piers (made of wood) and the right hand one is basically done with just detailing and some more airbridges to be added:

I'm not completely satisfied with the Gemini airbridges which needed some modifications to fit and could do with some aging/painting. I'm also tempted to add a viewing area on top of the pier.
    --
    http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

First off once again I really like your projects. Any updates to this one?The airport in these pictures is coming along very nicely and you have a good mix of classics. As far as the jet bridges, they may not be that off. I flipped to an article in Airways magazine this month that shows a pictures of New York in the 1960s with a jet bridge that is nearly the same white/tan as the GJ ones. As far as the diorama as a whole, you might consider adding era ground equipment. I know Herpa made a classic set in 1:500, but I am not sure about 1:400. Overall though, nicely done. Thank you, DeltaFan

Comment

Cheers DeltaFan. The model has indeed come along and has pretty much been completed nowadays. I was updating a DAC thread about it but haven't had time to add any new images to that for a few months. I plan on doing some 'day in the life' type photo dioramas in the future representing the airport set to be in different geographic areas of the US during the regulated era.

Concerning 1:400 GSE I have a reasonable amount of Aeroclassics GSE which has come with various models. I also added some Herpa 1:400 people to simulate passengers, ground crew and people on the pier-top viewing area. Here are a selection of shots taken a few months ago:

I need to take some more as the left pier with the side on gates is now completed:

Dowse National Progress May 15th 2013

Dowse National Progress 16th May 2013

Dowse National Progress 16th May 2013

Dowse National May 2013

Dowse National Progress May 15th 2013

Delta DC-8-61 at Dowse
      --

Comment

Excellent progress! That line of AA aircraft in the lightning color scheme is a beautiful sight. And that Delta DC-8 at the double gate is well-done, a unique way of parking aircraft! I never knew Eastern operated the Constellation, the blue fits the elegant curves of wonderfully. Out of curiosity, what type of parking is the TWA 707 using? I have not seen a circle ramp design before. Look forward to seeing more of your designs from different eras of the regulated era, a time period I am trying to learn more about. I just finished reading a book about deregulation and am working my way back in time! Thanks, DeltaFab

Comment

Grrrr... Should say DeltaFan! Not DeltaFab:-) It won't let me edit it.

Comment

Cool beans Looks good
            --

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFan View Post
              Excellent progress! That line of AA aircraft in the lightning color scheme is a beautiful sight. And that Delta DC-8 at the double gate is well-done, a unique way of parking aircraft! I never knew Eastern operated the Constellation, the blue fits the elegant curves of wonderfully. Out of curiosity, what type of parking is the TWA 707 using? I have not seen a circle ramp design before. Look forward to seeing more of your designs from different eras of the regulated era, a time period I am trying to learn more about. I just finished reading a book about deregulation and am working my way back in time! Thanks, DeltaFab
              Eastern had a huge fleet of Connies which saw several livery versions in their lifetimes. I've got 1 L-749 and 3 L-1049s from Aeroclassics all in different schemes. The double gates were fairly common at the beginning of the jet age. The circular type gate was also fairly common in the prop-age. I've been working from Airliners.net photos of places like Chicago Midway, O'Hare and Atlanta.
              --

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X