Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive cargo plane lands at wrong Wichita airport, now stuck there

http://news.yahoo.com/dreamlifter-ca...135024064.html

Whoops. Looks like the pilots had a bad day. The plane needs a nearly 10,000 foot runway to take off. The airport they landed at has a less than 7000 foot runway.

Sludge

the vid says it will be able to take off again.
    --

Comment

Originally posted by fleetlordatvar View Post
      the vid says it will be able to take off again.
      Yes. A lot was changed to the article between the time it was first posted. The title of this thread, "Massive cargo plane lands at wrong Wichita airport, now stuck there," was the exact headline of the article.

Sludge

Last edited by Sludge; 11-24-2013, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I believe the Dreamlifters are flown under contract by Atlas. Did Boeing bring their own crew in to get the plane out? It's my understanding they changed crews...

This is probably not relevant, but Evergreen used to fly the Dreamlifters for Boeing. The same Evergreen Int'l Airlines which is closing it's doors at the end of this month.

Comment

Must have been some take-off to witness, simply for the reason that there would 'probably' never again be such a take-off from that airport.

I read that they closed a nearby highway for the take-off. My guess it that it was just because the wake turbulence of the plane could have caused a problem with someone driving past at that time, nothing to do with they plane's safety. If the calculations showed that it couldn't safely get out then they would have lightened the Boeing further, first by taking off more fuel (how much would it need to fly the couple of miles to the correct airport plus some reserve as required by law?), and then by removing some cargo.
          --

Comment

Originally posted by JAL1628 View Post
            I believe the Dreamlifters are flown under contract by Atlas. Did Boeing bring their own crew in to get the plane out? It's my understanding they changed crews...

This is probably not relevant, but Evergreen used to fly the Dreamlifters for Boeing. The same Evergreen Int'l Airlines which is closing it's doors at the end of this month.
            Good question (and I don't know the answer). Atlas flew it in.

Very undramatic video, and story here. But, the ATC conversation with the pilot, at the end of the video, is priceless!!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/21/travel/kansas-cargo-plane-wrong-airport/

Sludge

Comment

Uhh.... Say again? hahaha!
              --

Cloud Services Admin/Collector since 2006

Comment

I believe it was last year (2012) somebody landed a C-17 at the wrong airport in South Florida.

Re: the Dreamlifter, there was one in the Waffle Collection Sale earlier this year under '1/400 Dragon/Jet-X'. I kinda wish I'd of snatched that up..

Comment

Originally posted by FireAngelZero View Post
                  Uhh.... Say again? hahaha!
                  Yeah!! ATC asks if he knows what airport he's at, and the pilot laughs. The fun ended when he was informed by ATC where he was really at. Waffle, was that you??

Sludge

Comment

Haha, I know it's like the pilots thought "yea what is this guy thinking of coarse we're at the right airport!..... ..... .... right?" It's must've been priceless to see their faces when they realized they landed at the wrong airport. And JAL1628, I do remember what your talking about,your right it was in Tampa that the C-17 landed at the wrong airport. It's like a new epidemic! PLANES LANDING AT WRONG AIRPORTS!!!
                    --

Cloud Services Admin/Collector since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by JAL1628 View Post
                      I believe it was last year (2012) somebody landed a C-17 at the wrong airport in South Florida.

Re: the Dreamlifter, there was one in the Waffle Collection Sale earlier this year under '1/400 Dragon/Jet-X'. I kinda wish I'd of snatched that up..
                      I got the hogan 1/200 to replace my 1/400 i sold earlier this yr. It's an odd plane, but interesting.
                      Yes the C-17 landed at the wrong place too, maybe we have to many airports!

It would have been cool to see the plane take off in person, but the audio of the pilot saying "say again" looses most of the emotion when you hear it over radio. I wish we had a dash cam to hear the true emotional tone & even the body language, that would be cool.
                      --

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X