Phoenix Air Koryo Tupolev TU-154B-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix Air Koryo Tupolev TU-154B-2

I just received this beauty and it makes me wish, and wonder why, Phoenix doesn't make more use of the mould. Since they've replaced the undercarriage there has been a major improvement in my mind as to how the mould looks. Phoenix don't make much that appeals to me so of my 617 models only 5 come from Phoenix owned moulds! - The others are Domodedovo IL-96 and three DC-9-30s (which I'd rather were Aeroclassics). That's going to change as quite a few Phoenix Ilyushins and Tupolevs are on backorder with Waffle but I'd still like to see at least 1 new TU-154 a month.

North Korea is a repugnant state which if the world were at all run by decent minded people wouldn't exist but even though they are happy to destroy their own citizens and threaten war one group they seem to love (rather ironically considering how most of the rest of the world hates them) is planespotters! Seems like you can get a great spotting trip to North Korea and fly and photograph classic Russian birds as much as you like almost. Tempting but difficult to marry up with my scruples!

Anyway Air Koryo is an interesting airline. It has operated since 1953 initially as UKAMPS, becoming the Civil Aviation Administration of Korea in the 1970s and Air Koryo in 1992. Jet operations began with TU-154s in 1975 with services historically directed at states within the Soviet sphere of influence. Russia and China remain the primary recipients of services. The under-utilised fleet is kept in good condition with a range of Ilyushins and Tupolevs in service despite a pair of TU-204s being delivered in the 90s. This aircraft was the last of four TU-154s. Built as CCCP-85573 she is still in service despite a landing accident at Pyongyang in August 2006.

Air Koryo Tupolev Tu-154B-2

--
    http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

Very nice model, I almost bought this one myself.. still might.

Tu154B did not have the Soloviev engines correct? I have a Phoenix Tu154M which doesn't fit my collecting criteria but I made exception for on account of the 'coolness' factor.

Comment

Originally posted by JAL1628 View Post
      Very nice model, I almost bought this one myself.. still might.

Tu154B did not have the Soloviev engines correct? I have a Phoenix Tu154M which doesn't fit my collecting criteria but I made exception for on account of the 'coolness' factor.
      Yep Wikipedia tells me it has the old Kuznetsov turbofans. Looks like the M was a significant refresh of the airframe in general though I don't know what effect this really had on the appearance.
      --
      http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=RStretton;n29861]... but I'd still like to see at least 1 new TU-154 a month.
        .../QUOTE]
        that' might be asking for a lot, i don't think the airframe is super popular for a monthly release. I have the 1/200 version, if my brain is addled tomorrow i will post pics.
        --

Comment

A very pretty model Richard and tempting, although I am trying to stick to those airlines that come/came to the UK and don't think Air Koryo ever has! I have a couple of friends that went on an aviation enthusiasts tour of North Korea and were treated so well, it was hard to believe they were in North Korea. Did you know that Air Koryo has a preserved IL-14 at Pyongyang and could almost be airworthy and sits on the ramp?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian View Post
            A very pretty model Richard and tempting, although I am trying to stick to those airlines that come/came to the UK and don't think Air Koryo ever has! ...
            If you close your eyes, relax it is possible to see the Air Koryo landing in the UK , then you could buy it too.
            --

Comment

I often try to imagine scenarios whereby I could justify adding unusual aircraft to my dioramas..

First, 1., how to get a Tu154 across the Pacific, and 2., why would they (Air Koryo) use the Tu154 for such a mission... Possible reasons: Gov't/VIP, sports charter, the Pyongyang Symphony visits North America.. or my favorite fantasy: the crew defects...

By the way, if anyone still wants one of these Tupolevs there aren't many left in stock..

I think I'm gonna pass in favor of a WestJet and a Qantas.. two airlines which already serve the 1/400 Int'l Terminal in my garage.

Comment

mate, too easy, Football team that plays "goodwill" tour of games from Korea peninsula West thru Asia, Middle East, up thru Greece into Europe, then via Iceland or Greenland (to refuel) they defect in the USA
                --

Comment

Aw, you guys are trying to undermine my collecting discipline! I am trying to find an excuse not to collect everything I see and you are not helping! Giving in to temptation has always been my downfall!

Comment

Crazy people, i mean avid collectors want company too.
                    --

Comment

If your curious what the Phoenix 1/200 looks like http://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/...l-1-200-models
                      It has flaps that move, not the best quality, but enough to engage the imagination. I hope w/ time the don't break or get damaged.
                      --

Comment

Thank you for the photos. I just ordered one for myself in 1/400.

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X