My Last Apollo & First 747-300: Swissair's Ticino

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Last Apollo & First 747-300: Swissair's Ticino

The departure of Apollo (Witty) from the 1:400 scene is unfortunate as they produced some fine models at times. I didn't care much for their DC-10s (long legs) and their recent 727 noses look a bit odd, but the models they made on their 747, L1011 and CV880 moulds were always excellent -plus they came with very nice stands.

I just received what maybe my last Witty Apollo model and she is probably one of the best models in my collection. Certainly the Apollo 747-200/300 mould is superb (my understanding is it is the old Big Bird mk1 mould).

Swissair became a 747 operator in 1971 when a pair of 747-257Bs arrived. The long-haul fleet was however built around the more suitably sized DC-10, though both 747s survived until 1984 and in fact were replaced by further 747s with Swissair being the launch customer for the series 300. It received its first of 5 in March 1983 when HB-IGC, the first series 300 built, was delivered. Three more aircraft arrived that year with the final aircraft, HB-IGG ‘Ticino’, not arriving until late 1987. The 747s were supplemented by MD-11s in the 1990s but carried on as the backbone of the long-haul fleet until January 2000 flying to New York, Boston, Atlanta and Hong Kong. IGG became D2-TEB with TAAG Angola Airlines who operated her until January 2007.

Here she is in all her glory:

Swissair Boeing 747-357SCD by rstretton, on Flickr

--
    http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

I like this jet, (I've always had a soft spot for the "old colors" Swissair 747's) I wasn't aware that Apollo was stopping 1:400 productions. I like the selection they offer but I've never really purchased from them. Like always good find!
    --

Cloud Services Admin/Collector since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by FireAngelZero View Post
      I like this jet, (I've always had a soft spot for the "old colors" Swissair 747's) I wasn't aware that Apollo was stopping 1:400 productions. I like the selection they offer but I've never really purchased from them. Like always good find!
      Not just the Apollo brand either but all Witty Wings
      --
      http://yesterdaysairlines.weebly.com/

Comment

I always liked the look of the -300 with the "big top" plus the JT9D motors and wingtip HF antennas. It's the only major variant of the 747 I do not have in 1/400.

Comment

The Swissair livery has grown on me, but only w/ the air frames i like such as the 747
          --

Comment

Hi,
            Reviving this old thread to ask if anyone has this model and the Aeroclassics brown cheatline DC-10. How do the colors compare? Trying to decide between this model and the Aviation400 to go back to my Aeroclassics.

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X