Yellowed Plastic Parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowed Plastic Parts

I have a Herpa British Airways 777 in Hong Kong world tail colours that I purchased at a local charity sale. The tail has yellowed on one side, I presume it has been displayed in sunlight by the previous owner.

I presume the answer will be "no" but is there anything that can be done about faded/yellowed plastic parts like this?

Many thanks in advance.

I've asked this before and was responded to very rudely by trolls that told me to just put it in the sun more. Don't know why fellow collectors would be such a-holes about stuff like this, but it's still a valid question.

Sadly, no, there is nothing you can do to salvage the yellowed plastic parts short of repainting it yourself or replacing the whole thing with a part from another model.

I have several models that have yellowed parts from sun exposure, but i've learned to be happy with it. To me, personally, it shows how long I have been collecting and it adds a nice vintage touch to my oldest pieces.

That's a gorgeous model you got there though, I think I have a NG version of it. What version did you end up picking up?

Comment

Originally posted by Cartier Aquino View Post
      I've asked this before and was responded to very rudely by trolls that told me to just put it in the sun more. Don't know why fellow collectors would be such a-holes about stuff like this, but it's still a valid question.

Sadly, no, there is nothing you can do to salvage the yellowed plastic parts short of repainting it yourself or replacing the whole thing with a part from another model.

I have several models that have yellowed parts from sun exposure, but i've learned to be happy with it. To me, personally, it shows how long I have been collecting and it adds a nice vintage touch to my oldest pieces.

That's a gorgeous model you got there though, I think I have a NG version of it. What version did you end up picking up?
      Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear you had such a rude reaction. In my experience there are usually one or two trolls or people trying to be funny in every hobby community.

I've had another user suggest that hydrogen peroxide can be used but as this model was found for a cheap price in a bunch of other models I may just keep it as it is. If I ever fly on a 777 I could get it re-painted to match as I'm planning on collecting models of every plane I fly on.

I believe I have this version https://www.diecastmodelaircraft.com/db/model/155 , The landing gear was broken when I got it but Herpa were happy to send me some spares.

Comment

Congrats on the inexpensive purchase!!

If I ever run across a garage sale with airplanes, Iíííll (hmm, I correct the spelling, but itís not saving it) make a low, but fair, offer for the whole lot. Then keep what I want and ebay the rest.

Changing the subject, there was a pathetic British boy on wings900 that was allowed to run unsupervised there. The predictable outcome; the boy lost interest in our hobby, and has left it. Heíís (interesting, it will not accept my apostrophes) now trying to sell all his planes. Presumably, he hasnít matured yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sludge View Post
          Congrats on the inexpensive purchase!!

If I ever run across a garage sale with airplanes, Iíííll (hmm, I correct the spelling, but itís not saving it) make a low, but fair, offer for the whole lot. Then keep what I want and ebay the rest.

Changing the subject, there was a pathetic British boy on wings900 that was allowed to run unsupervised there. The predictable outcome; the boy lost interest in our hobby, and has left it. Heíís (interesting, it will not accept my apostrophes) now trying to sell all his planes. Presumably, he hasnít matured yet.
          I wish I could encounter a garage sale that magically has airplanes amongst the lot. I have never seen another person that collects diecast aircraft like I do in real life, and I only ever see others collections or models being on sale online.

And that's unfortunate about the user from wings900 but also quite understandable, I find it more and more that the young people are the ones that are very vocal about their collections. I don't see a point in being rude about it though.

Comment

There was a gentleman who lives near me who collects. I talked to him once and he invited me in to see his collection. Thatís the only person in my 15 years of collecting that I have known, if only for one day.

Comment

Bottom Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X