Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone else out there who can't wait for the holidays to be over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone else out there who can't wait for the holidays to be over?

Between all the money I've spent on my large extended family, and all the banal 'kid time', and my wife's pretentious co-workers.. I find myself wondering (as Ron Livingston did in Office Space) whether there is some way I could 'zone out' and wake up on the 26th with no memory of what happened..

Seriously, who thinks it is a good idea to shove 20-30 dissimilar people in a room and force them to interact? That is something to be survived, not enjoyed.

Fortunately I enjoy my life well enough the rest of the year.

Originally posted by JAL1628 View Post
    Between all the money I've spent on my large extended family, and all the banal 'kid time', and my wife's pretentious co-workers.. I find myself wondering (as Ron Livingston did in Office Space) whether there is some way I could 'zone out' and wake up on the 26th with no memory of what happened..

Seriously, who thinks it is a good idea to shove 20-30 dissimilar people in a room and force them to interact? That is something to be survived, not enjoyed.

Fortunately I enjoy my life well enough the rest of the year.
    Just tell everyone you collect little jet airplanes. That'll "wow" them.

Sludge

Comment

i'm "lucky" that i don't have wife's friends or any thing similar to worry about. "Thanks" to my sleeping disorder & being single i don't have to worry about gifting the usual suspects
      --

Comment

Originally posted by fleetlordatvar View Post
        i'm "lucky" that i don't have wife's friends or any thing similar to worry about. "Thanks" to my sleeping disorder & being single i don't have to worry about gifting the usual suspects
        This time of year you are *very* lucky my friend.. Use that cash bonus to catch up on some gifts for you.

Comment

Done, 25+ 1/200 planes including a Disney Sea in 1/200 . It's not a utopia as i miss out the pros of having a caring spouse
          --

Comment

Yeah, I've done 4 company xmas parties ( 2 were formal dress, and 2 were informal = dept lunch and children's xmas party ). I'll be at the office next week, should be very quiet! I'll bring a couple of models to the office and discuss with a few of the aviation buffs there!

Comment

you lucky w/ aviation buffs, I was once with a group of ~10 USAF people & no one was aviation fan.
              --

Comment

@Boracay_Beach - yep you are lucky to have some aviation buffs at work... I don't have any here and we are in the aerospace mfg business. Although we do have a couple of space buffs..

The last time I was at my customer in Southern California (a very large OEM) I was amazed how few people (if any) were aviation buffs.. there were more automobile & sports enthusiasts than anything. These people could have been working at Maytag and it would've made no difference... it was just a corporate job to them!

@fleetlordatvar - enjoy this time w/ your hobbies! You will meet someone and when that time comes - you will rarely see your little jets anymore. I used to do a lot of fun things: mountain biking, target shooting, pub crawls w/ buddies, sporting events, all kinds of stuff.. Nowadays I spend my time being there for my wife. I do love her very much, but model airplanes had to take a back seat.

Christmas is a sham. If you care about someone, practice being good a listener. Ask them how they're doing once in a while. I don't see how gift giving fixes anything at year-end. So call me a scrooge, but I think the whole thing is wasteful and forced.. and unnecessary.

Off I go to hang out w/ people I don't like!

Comment

Hey JAL1628, I came across 2 guys at the office (one collects modern jet fighter models and the other is a WW2 aviation buff). Just gotta find the 'civilian' aviation buff now at work. Maybe, those workers at the aerospace firm need a different release so they get into the 4 wheelers and sports. To each their own, I guess. Yep, christmas is like a 'light switch' = turn it on for 1 or 2 weeks, then after Dec 25th = turn the switch off for another year. I agree, that people should focus more on communicating throughout the year to really build better relationships. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by JAL1628 View Post
                    ... You will meet someone and when that time comes - you will rarely see your little jets anymore....
                    I already met her, but she turned out to be a (clinical) Psychopath.
                    --

Comment

**UPDATE 11/14/14**

The holidays are back, are you ready???

My plan this year is to sneak a flask of Fireball in my coat pocket and (hopefully) sleepwalk through all 1, pretentious benefits and charity events, 2, gatherings with campy self-righteous relatives 3, “conversations” with and/about children (yawn), and 4, work/office holiday parties hosted by super rich people I have absolutely nothing in common with.

I’m crossing my fingers Gemini and Phoenix come out with some real interesting and unpredictable releases for December, that might alleviate things a bit!

Comment

Sorry to hear you are suffering again this year. Hopefully you can find other things to make up for these things you have to do.
                        --

Comment

Oh yeah. This time of year again. :-(

The pretending at office parties. Lets not elaborate further as anything posted on the internet can and will be used against you...

The shops trying to make that extra buck from you by trying to sell you stuff you don't actually want.
                          The endless tunes they play over and over for weeks.
                          Actually, it is just a general time to avoid the shops or go very early to avoid the mad rush.

And the family gatherings! I like to spend time with my friends rather.- Those without children I might add. (Yes, I know once you are a parent your thoughts change. I am not one and don't intend to become one.)

Happy Festivus! :-)
                          --

Comment

Originally posted by eugenevh View Post
                            Yes, I know once you are a parent your thoughts change. I am not one and don't intend to become one
                            Ha, smart man. Your thoughts don't really change per se, you just become part of the lie Maybe I should clarify: you will always love your kids, but you will not always like them. Little kids are great, they believe and like most everything... Teenagers are arrogant jagoffs. Sometimes I am very, very, proud of them... But most days I cannot wait for them to move out.

On a lighter note, I think one of my Christmas wishes may come true; it looks like Gemini is working on a split-scimitar 737.. Now if they would only reuse the CV-580 mold..

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X