What do you do with the boxes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartier Aquino
    started a topic What do you do with the boxes?

What do you do with the boxes?

Hey everyone,

I'm about to consolidate my collections when I move and I was wondering what you guys do with the boxes if you have collections out on display?

I have about 750 models in all different types of scales and storage of the empty boxes while the models are on display may become an issue of space. So just wondering what you guys do with yours (if you dont have a garage to store them in)?

Thanks and regards.

• Cartier Aquino
    replied
    Originally posted by AshleyFlynn23 View Post
    I don't display them. They have a lot of sentimental value to me personally so I don't really have them on show for people to see.
    I actually really like your point of view about that Ashley, it is for the collector and not for anyone elses benefit to have all these models. So i'm actually combining these two ideologies and will have them in a display case, but most of them will be in my office for my enjoyment and not anyone else's unless I care about them enough to show them off.

As for everyone's responses to my box question over the years, thank you. I found an interim solution in keeping a majority of my collection and the boxes that go with them at my parent''s house, but will be making room for them at my new place shortly by shoving all of them into my closet. We'll see how that works out. It wouldn't have been such an issue if I had kept to 1:500 scale, but I have a decent amount of 1:400 and even 1:200 to worry about now, that's what caused the problems.

Leave a comment:

• AshleyFlynn23
    replied
    I don't display them. They have a lot of sentimental value to me personally so I don't really have them on show for people to see.

Leave a comment:

• vahancrazy
    replied
    Originally posted by AshleyFlynn23 View Post
    I never take my models out of their boxes. All my models are safely stored in their boxes and then the boxes I put in plastic storage containers. I think I have about 10 plastic storage containers now and my model collection is mainly made up of 1/500 scale!
    Hei Ashley, just curious: how you display/show them?
    I have 3-5 displayed in the box but some of the others even have dioramas.

Leave a comment:

• AshleyFlynn23
    replied
    I never take my models out of their boxes. All my models are safely stored in their boxes and then the boxes I put in plastic storage containers. I think I have about 10 plastic storage containers now and my model collection is mainly made up of 1/500 scale!

Leave a comment:

• Santos
    replied
    I keep all the boxes ( 1100) in my garage. In this picture I was transfering several boxes from my apartment to my garage large cabinet.

Leave a comment:

• vahancrazy
    replied
    For my sake! Always keep the damn boxes! ​​​​​​

My first 20-30models are without box because I bought them when I was young and less smart.... A really dumb action.

When I relocated it was a pain in the axe. I used a lot of care when packing them but not everyone arrived intact.

Where to store 'em? I use two full footstools (my collection is mostly 1:500) and some models are displayed in the box.

Leave a comment:

• Hubango
    replied
    To be honest I keep all the boxes. I have a special storage place in my garage in this French Riviera property.It doesn't bother me much plus I will always have original boxes in case I will need to move from this house to another.

Leave a comment:

• Santos
    replied
    I keep all the boxes inside larger boxes in a big cabinet in my garage. About 1100 boxes!

Leave a comment:

• Juneau_Flyer
    replied
    I keep all the boxes. In the attic.

Leave a comment:

• Cartier Aquino
    replied
    Thank you all for the replies thus far. I'm definitely not throwing any of the boxes away because who knows if and when I ever move again. I was mostly asking where to keep the boxes while I have the models out on display in their display cases. Depending on what type of room I will be able to have in my office at my next place, I was thinking maybe building a wall and stacking them all up would be a quirky way to display the boxes and simultaneously store them.

Leave a comment:

• wildpig1234
    replied
    that's one reason why i like hogan wings also due to the smaller boxes... be prepared to dedicate a whole medium size walk in closet to your boxes.

Anyway, most of my models are stored away in boxes for most of their time. I have 5 spare models on the desk for play. and they are duplicates of the ones stored away...lol..

Leave a comment:

• eugenevh
    replied
    Storing the boxes is a problem if you don't have an attic or a spare room or a garage.
    As stated above, the worst thing you can do is throw the boxes away.
    One day you might need to move again, then the boxes will be required to protect the models.
    And it will devalue the models if you want to sell it, but don't have the original boxes.

Maybe renting a storage unit might be an option for you, or part of someone's garage / spare room?

Leave a comment:

• wildpig1234
    replied
    the worst thing you can do beside damage the models is discard the boxes. the boxes protect your models. not to mention if you ever sell the models, the price drops a lot without the boxes.

Leave a comment:

• FireAngelZero
    replied
    I rarely take the models out of the box. I have about 2 different bookshelves and a display case I display the models in the boxes. (The display case is actually an old entertainment system enclosure with a glass door that I just stack all the models inside). I've never had an issue with this, but having 750 models I can definitely see why space is a premium for you.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X